Adam Maloney <adamm at sihope.com> writes:

> Think of it this way - it's probably better to do it sometime soon, when
> you know what's going on and have time to deal with it, then to have it
> happen the next time you lose power for half a second, and have a term
> paper due or have a porno emergency.

The battery in the UPS, though old, is good for more than a half
second, anyway :-).

You're right that it might be slightly better to control *when* the
risk is taken.  Maybe tonight, if I get the deadline this afternoon
met.

> Not to scare you, but I've seen them fail after a power cycle where you
> can't even get into ROM.  It becomes a $295 frisbee.

Luckily I got it free.

It was the Pipeline 50 (older ISDN router) that I paid $1495 for and
sold for $75.

> If it turns out to choke and cough blood, I might still have one laying
> around at home I'd be willing to part with really cheap.  You might be
> better off buying a 678 though (ebay), since it will work with both CAP
> (675) and DMT.  I wouldn't be surprised if Qwest had a forced DMT
> conversion for all CAP customers within the next 12 to 24 months.  Just
> be aware of that possibility before you shell out any dough for another
> modem, if it comes to that.  And I sincerely hope it doesn't!

And if I upgrade to DMT, I could consider getting 1megabit service.
(Changing the service in any way apparently forces a DMT conversion
now).

Anybody know anything about the 2 megabit business cable service being
available in South Minneapolis?  If I'm going to go through hell, I
might as well maximize the benefits.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b at dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>