On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Mike Hicks wrote:

> I once flashed a motherboard with a BIOS that didn't read properly off
> of the floppy disk I had inserted.  Fortunately, that system had a
> minimal BIOS that would give you enough access to the system to flash
> the system with a good version.  I think it booted up, and gave a prompt
> along the lines of "Please insert diskette with firmware and enter
> filename: "
>
> Of course, this only works if the CRC of the BIOS doesn't match the
> data.  If you had a properly-crafted broken BIOS, you'd really be sunk.
>
> Anyway, good hardware should be able to operate in some minimal fashion,
> even if the firmware can't be loaded.

a couple "new" technologies let you do this,

the most common(from what i've seen) is the AwardBIOS minimal bios thingie
which seems to be that you are using... You know you have this is when it
says "Press F12 to run AWDFLASH.EXE" as it posts.

The other kind is the one that has been more heavily marketed and it tends
to add a price markup is called DualBIOS(tm) which is kinda like a RAID1
CMOS.

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET
http://redconcepts.net/