On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Shawn wrote:

> If the kernel/system makes repeated calls to read the head, I could see over
> time it ruining the drive.  But I still don't see how this particular issue
> can destroy a drive itself (not the media).

If i understand it correctly LG decided it was a good idea to make the
systemcall that flushes the cache the same one that initiates a firmware
upgrade.

now it seems that the kernel shipped with mandrake makes use of that
system call and when it does the drive starts it firmware upgrade process
and dies just like a motherboard would die if the power failed while you
were flashing the BIOS. This is why the cdrom drive would die even though
you are doing a netinstall.

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET
http://redconcepts.net/