From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Scot Jenkins
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 11:48 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] install failure/lilo hates me

How did you get slackware installed initially without a floppy or cdrom?
AFAIK you're going to need some other media you can boot from (generally
floppy or cdrom) in order to fix the MBR.  I suppose you could try
booting from a DOS partition via loadlin (assumes you're not running NTFS
on your windows partition in a dual boot scenario).  It's been a long time
since I ran loadlin.  I'd try to find a floppy drive that works.  If
you need one I have some spares.  Email me off list if interested.

TIP:  when installing slackware, always select "Simple" when asked
during liloconfig.  You can always go back and change it later, but in my
experience, selecting "simple" _always_ works.

Lansing, Dan wrote:
> I tried to install slack 9.1 over an existing slack 9.0 install....reformatted the partition and did the install, I found out when I tried to do the install that my cdrom drive is broken....
> Now when I boot....at lilo I pick slackware and get
> I have since wised up and just put all needed files on my windows partition and would like to try and repair my slackware install....if I can get into Linux I'm sure I can do this....i have no floppy and my cd does not work....is there anything I can type at the lilo prompt to get in here?
>
> Dan Lansing

scot