On 10/22 02:54 , Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I did not say to "ban" the software.
> I said it's irresponsible do distribute it in the way they are doing
> it.  I said the people who use it for evil piss-me-off.
>
> We need the tools but we don't "LEGALLY" sell guns to criminals or
> minors.  We require minors to be educated about guns if they will use
> them for sport shooting.

I believe part of the solution to a lot of the problems we have with modern
technology (firearms, cracker tools), is education. We teach kids in school
how dangerous sex and drugs are (which is not the same thing as educating
them properly, but that's another debate); why don't we teach them firearms
safety and computer safety?

Once people understand something; they're less likely to be afraid of it,
and they're less likely to misuse it. Once you learn how dangerous guns can
be, and how unlike they are in the movies; you're less likely to misuse
them. Conversely, you're also better able to appreciate their value as a
tool for sport and defense. Once you learn how to install and secure your
OS, you can better appreciate what a pain it is for someone to get their
computer cracked; and when you help other people secure their boxen, you
learn the value of being helpful instead of destructive, and make a positive
contribution to society.

My thoughts on why this isn't being done in our schools, are a topic for
another day, and way too off-topic for this list. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises