On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:53:59PM -0500, Chris Frederick wrote:
> a script like this is doable:
> for file in dir
>    ex "+:g/find/s//replace/" "+:wq" file
>
> but I can't help but think there's a better way, and one with more
> features like being able to recurse through directories, or is faster,
> etc.  Is there a egrep/grep/etc tool that can do this?  Or what tool
> would you recommend?

If you want to do things in-place you're already really close.  I would
suggest using find to get the full list of files you want, grep those
for the files that need editting, then use ex to do the change.

Something like this

for file in `find /somedir -type f | grep -l <regex>`; do
  ex <commands> $file
done

Nate