Hey gang,

This may have been covered before, but I was wondering how I can find
and replace in files.  I've seen a couple of ways to do this, but the
ones I've tried are botched up in some way.  Here's an example of what
I'd like to do:

/dir contains about 150 files in it.
egrep "/^[ \t]some (fancy[.]+regex).*$/" *.files  - shows 20 files with
matching lines.
I'd like to "s/^[ \t]some .+(fancy.+regex).*$/\1/" on those files.

a script like this is doable:
for file in dir
    ex "+:g/find/s//replace/" "+:wq" file

but I can't help but think there's a better way, and one with more
features like being able to recurse through directories, or is faster,
etc.  Is there a egrep/grep/etc tool that can do this?  Or what tool
would you recommend?

Thanks in advance...
Chris Frederick