On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:36 -0500
"John & Jan Schulstad" <shulstad at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> I recently completed my first succesful installation of Linux only to find my modem is incompatible with Linux.
>
> I have a new Gateway E-4100 Pentium 4, 2400 Mhz.  Modem is a US Robotics Intel 537 EP data fax.

This is a HSP modem aka WinModem. I found this page right away (google is your friend):

http://rzr.online.fr/docs/comp/modem.htm

Hopefully it will have some info to help you.. but if I might offer a suggestion, ditch this thing in favor of a genuine hardware (DSP) modem. If you have a standard serial port, then an external model is all the more flexible. Even under windows, a lot of HSP modems are less than acceptable. In the long run, a hardware modem will be a more satisfying piece of hardware.

Reconcile this against your potential near-term desire for a broadband connection ;)

-L