I have been running a USR modem in a RedHat 8 machine.  Granted, it did
not install properly (that is to say, LINUX never saw it as a modem),
however, by pointing it at the standard com device, I got the modem to
work just fine.  In my case (and to make it easy for myself in cases of
reference), I just created a link "/dev/modem" to "/dev/ttyS2" (no
quotes, btw).

Garrett