On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:53:48 -0500
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:45:44AM -0500, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> > Making the tools "illegal" robs me, not a criminal intent on using
> > them. If he already plans to attack my computers illegally, I don't
> > think acquiring or constructing an "illegal" tool to do so will make
> > him "think twice".
>
> Exactly.  The type of argument Sam is presenting sounds wonderful to
> people like politicians.  Regulate the tool and crime cannot be
> committed.  This is exactly the type of mentality that the RIAA has
> against P2P filesharing applications.  It's exactly the mentality that
> has plagued the decss cases.  Possession of a tool does not make a
> criminal act.  Application of a tool in an illegal manner does.
>
> Let's keep that distinction clear and free of morality agendas.

One aspect of having tools that attempt to break into a system, from an administrator's standpoint IMO, is to check the validity and security of your measures to prevent such things.  If used against your own machines, or in a hired manner to search for vulnerabilities of a client so they can correct them is a good thing.  Not a criminal intent.

Theory and simulated theory and practice is good, but the real test comes from application.  IMO of course.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"