How many of you have heard about the Actiontec DualPC modem?

It's a small external dial up modem running embedded Linux (uCLinux to
be exact) with 2 network ports on the "inside". I say inside because
it's not just a modem. It also serves as a NAT type firewall, and a DHCP
server for the inside ports, and a small web server for user admin of
the device.

My dad is running WinXP, and after getting hit with the Blaster worm, it
didn't take much to talk him into purchasing this device. He had
problems setting it up, so I drove to his house and set it up for him
and I applied the firmware update. The firmware update closes some
"holes" found by one of the first people to start playing with the Linux
in this device.

The REALLY cool part is that Actiontec is supporting and interacting
with the "user" community who are interested in modifying this device
for their own purposes. They have released all the Linux code for the
device so that those with the skills and knowledge can "tweak" the
device to their heart's content.

Links:
http://www.actiontec.com/products/modems/dual_pcmodem/dpm_overview.html
http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/dualpcmodem.html
http://opensource.actiontec.com/dualpcmodem/index.html

There is also a mailing list for users:

There is actually a company rep subscribed to the list and personally
interacting with members of the list (most those that live in his area,
but also those visiting the area).

I feel confident recommending this device to anyone running Windows on a
dialup as a great first line of defense against hackers and worms.

Thank you for listening (actually reading).
--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.