Wow! I really opened a can of beans with my original post, "grenaded"
the can would be more like it. :-)

Anyway, lets seperate fact from opinion.

FACT:
1) Contrary to rumor, there is no "backdoor" to Smoothwall.
2) In March of 2002 Richard Morrell of Smoothwall accused IPCop of
violating the GPL with respect to Smoothwall's v0.9.9 distro.

MY OPINION:
I believe Richard Morrell. He would not have gone public with his
accusation if he did not believe it. Since that time, IPCop may have
mended their ways, I really don't know. BUT, I view their original
actions as distasteful and therefore I will NOT support their
distribution, nor will I recommend it to anyone I know.

ANOTHER THOUGHT:
Support contracts, for open source applications and operating systems,
is what will drive open source into the business environment. This can
be shown to be true by RedHat and SUSE's success. Both offer their
product for free, but also provide support through contracts. Therefore
I submit that if you place yourself in the role of a mid-level IT
support person at a small to mid-size company and you try to implement
an open source appliction or OS, the first question from the CTO and/or
CIO will be, "Who will support this product when you leave the company?"
Telling the CTO or CIO that they have to subscribe to a user group to
get their questions answered will NOT cut it. On the other hand, telling
them that the software provider you have chosen will provide support for
a yearly fee will ease their minds. Therefore, I submit that
SmoothWall.co.uk is a better choice for the business environment. IPCop
is fine for "at home" use, if you so prefer, but to be quite honest, I
wouldn't try to sell it to the upper management of a business.

This is my last post on the subject, unless someone directs a
question/comment directly at me. Let's face it folks. There are as many
opinions about different distros of Linux as there are people on this
list, and banging our fists on the table proclaiming one over the other
will get us nowhere. Let's all just agree to disagree.
--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.