On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:47:02 -0500
Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:

> IT is a known fact that the "developers" of IPCOP simply changed the
> graphics of Smoothwall and re-released the OLD SmoothWall 0.9.9
> binaries with the names of the authors, and project team members
> removed. Since that point IPCOP MAY have made some changes to the
> source code, but as far as I know, they STILL have NOT acknowledged
> the rightful authors of the original source code.
>
> I KNOW what the GPL means, and I agree with the GPL. What I don't
> agree with is using someone else's code base and stripping out their
> names and copyright information.

Taken from the info page on my IPCOP box:

Smoothwall
IPCop is based on the Smoothwall GPL version, v0.9.9. We are grateful to
them for both inspiring this product and giving us the codebase to work
with. Smoothwall was developed by:

Founder and Project Manager - Richard Morrell (richard at smoothwall.org)
Development Team Leader and Author - Lawrence Manning
(lawrence at smoothwall.org)
Dan Goscomb - Architecture team leader, Core Developer & Perl Guru
(dang at smoothwall.org)
Paul Tansom - Worldwide Community Liason (paul at smoothwall.org)
William Anderson - Worldwide Online Team Manager & Webmanager
(neuro at smoothwall.org)
Rebecca Ward - Worldwide Online Support Manager (becca at smoothwall.org)
Bill Ward - US Support & Evangelist (bill at smoothwall.org)
Chris Ross - Chief Wizard (chris at smoothwall.org)
Mark Wormgoor - ISDN Lead Developer (mark at wormgoor.com)
Eric Johansson - US Team Leader (esj at harvee.billerica.ma.us)
Dan Cuthbert - Lead Security Manager (security at smoothwall.org)
Pierre-Yves Paulus - Belgian Team Leader and PPPoE guru
(pauluspy at easynet.be)
John Payne - DNS & Tech Contibutor (john at sackheads.org)
Adam Wilkinson - VPN Assistance (aaw10 at hslmc.cam.ac.uk)
Jez Tucker - Testing (jez at rib-it.org)
Pete Guyan - Tech testing & Input (pete at snowplains.org)
Nigel Fenton - Development and Testing (nigel.fenton at btinternet.com)
Bob Dunlop - The Guru's Guru & Code Magician (rjd at xyzzy.clara.co.uk)

If you feel that IPCOP somehow did anything illegal by forking a GPL
project, I'd certainly like proof. This seems to be proof contrary. And
unless you're an IP lawyer, I'd recommend reconsidering charging anyone
of code theft. Richard Morrel sure can rant and rave, but that doesn't
mean what he says has absolute truth.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com
hinz0047 at tc.umn.edu |  http://rudie.net

Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch
Liberty: a well armed sheep expressing his rights.