On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:14:30 -0500
Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> wrote:

> I haven't received the digest yet, but apparently there is some
> concern about Smoothwall having a "backdoor" built into it. This is
> utter nonsense, most likely propagated by the people at IPCOP to
> justify their stolen version of Smoothwall's GPL'd software.

Smoothwall licensed their distro as GPL. IPCOP used their codebase, also
releasing under GPL. This is perfectly legit, conforming as the GPL as
it is written. I see nothing wrong with this, nothing at all.

> To be quite blunt, IPCOP stole SmoothWall's work and put their own
> name on it.

No-one stole Smoothwall's work. It was a fork of their GPL project,
released legitimately also under the GPL.
I strongly urge you to read the GPL someday. I think that would clear
things up. But I gotta hand it to you, you really know how to start a
flamewar!

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com
hinz0047 at tc.umn.edu |  http://rudie.net

Democracy: two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch
Liberty: a well armed sheep expressing his rights.