We've been experimenting with openwebmail (openwebmail.org) here as a
replacement to our current system.

Besides doing the (obvious) web-based  e-mail stuff, you can easily
setup vacation, calendaring/reminders, and change passwords.

It looks pretty solid from here.  And it's a port.  And it's
super-duper-easy to install (from ports anyways, haven't built from the
distribution they have for download yet).

All perl too.  Yum.