an kinda OT question, but these seems a good forum to post it...

i'm in the beginning stages of starting up my own used bookstore that
would (at least initially) sell solely online through existing retail
channels like amazon, half.com, abe.com, and so on. i've spent about
five years dealing with used books one way or another, and i've
encountered many book database systems, most of them windows-based, and
most of them fairly lacking in areas i would deem crucial to operating a
decent scalable bookstore inventory system (i.e. lacking flexibile
customization options, lacking a decent relational database system, and
lacking flexible export options that would allow you to format your
database to upload to more than one website, each of which accepts
fairly different file formats from UIEE, tab-delimited, etc.).

anyhow, i'm looking around for an ideal database system that allows
flexibility for these options. i'd ideally like the system to run on
linux, mainly for expandability -- i'd prefer to avoid incurring extra
user fees each time i add a computer, and i'd prefer to avoid being
forced into upgrading my OS for windows updates -- not to mention the
other obvious benefits of using linux for business systems. i'd also
prefer to use an open source database, also for keeping operating costs
down. i'm not very knowledgeable on databases, and i've been doing some
research into MySQL and PostgreSQL. as far as i can tell, both of these
would provide a pretty robust DB system that could allow me to catalogue
books in whatever format i need, and could eventually also power a
e-commerce website should the need arise (which would be ideal, since i
could have realtime interaction between cataloguing books, accepting
online orders, and the central DB).

however (and please correct me if i'm wrong), as i understand it, i
would need to first build my database in MySQL or PostgreSQL, then build
an application (in PHP or Perl or similar) to allow me to interact with
this DB? i'm not a DB programmer, so i imagine i'd have to hire someone
to build this for me -- can someone on this list give me a vague
estimate the cost of such a project? or does such a thing as a prebuilt
MySQL inventory system exist for linux? thinking ahead to opening a
retail location, are there any prebuilt Point-Of-Sale systems for linux?
i've done some googling, and found some old links to what look like
abandoned POS-on-linux projects. i'd really prefer to avoid windows for
this... can anyone offer me any advice?

thanks, and please correct any of my misunderstandings. i'm fairly new
to DB software, but i know there has to be something out there better
than the Piece-of-Sh*t systems i've had to use in the past..

thanks in advance,
Nick