On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 17:17 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> This
> would be easy to do if it had a command line option to "Reattach if
> possible, otherwise just start a new session" but it doesn't seem to.

Did you try "screen --help"? Looks like -R is precisely what you want:

drake at vinh505$ screen --help
[...]
-R            Reattach if possible, otherwise start a new session.
[...]

> Also, you need to make sure when screen starts up a shell it doesn't
> endlessly fork bomb itself, re-executing .profile/.bashrc every time...

When I start shells in screen, they're not login shells. So as long as
screen is started only from a login shell, you shouldn't have a problem.
Adding a line to your .bash_login should do the trick.

I've thought about automatically starting screen sessions, too. I'll try
my own advice and see if I melt down one of the math department
machines...

Dan

--
---    Dan Drake <drake at math.umn.edu>    University of Minnesota