On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:36:18 -0500
"Austad, Jay" <JAustad at temgweb.com> wrote:

> So, say I have a shell script, that looks like this
>
> echo -n "User:"
> read
> echo -n "Pass:"
> read
> /usr/sbin/someproprietaryprogram
> break

Warning: I'm by no means a good shell scripter, but why do you need the break?  At the termination of the /usr/sbin/someproprietaryprogram it would terminate anyways.

> So anyway, this remote program sends the username after it sees the
> user prompt, and then sends a linefeed.  "read" expects a CRLF.  So, I
> either need to figure out how to make read just expect an LF, or
> convert this to perl and make that handle it properly.
>
> I'm assuming if I did it in perl I'd just have a loop that read every
> character, and broke out of the loop when it saw an LF.  Right?

Umm, just a thought, but couldn't you have them enter it in like this:

username:password   -or-   username password

Not sure why you need to only do an LF and not a CRLF.

Personally, I would set it up something like this:

 echo -n "User:"
> read user
> echo -n "Pass:"
> read pass
> /usr/sbin/someproprietaryprogram
> break

Not sure how you want to tie in those to the proprietary program, but if you needed to combine them into one line couldn't you do something like:

"${user}:$pass"

Apologies if this is well below what you're trying to do.  I'm still fairly new to shell script writing.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"