Yeah, screen is definitely one of my favs, right up there with ssh, gcc, grep,
sed, awk, and vi.  I luuuve being able to start something from work, detach
the screen session, and then reattach from home to check on it.

But somebody wanted non-administrative tools, so I started thinking then it
hit me:

Penguin Commander

Thats my favorite game (this week).  Its a cool remake of the old "Missile
Commander" game from the old Atari 2600 and arcade days.  I stumbled accross
it while looking for some work related stuff Tuesday and have been hooked
ever since.

Other favortie games of mine include the original "dungeon" text based game
and "xbomber", a remake of "BomberMan", an MS-DOS game.  BomberMan is great
at LAN parties.  Up to 6 (or is it 8?) people run their guys around and set
bombs on a 2D game board to try and trap each other.  If you get trapped you
end up in a little pile of ashes complete with a "Aaieeee" scream :-)
Sometimes the (deceptivly) simplest games generate the most laughter and
competition when you're having fun.  I've been at more than one Quake party
that turned into a BomberMan-fest.

My favorite business app right now is OpenOffice (StarOffice).  It feels sooo
good to not have MS Office on any of my machines!

And lastly, KStars, a cool little star chart program that is part of the KDE
project.

--

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC