Combining e-mails...

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:50:50 -0500 (CDT)
Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com> wrote:

> add the -v option to your ssh command line, and it'll tell you why it
> can't set up x forwarding for you.

Umm, nothing apparent showed up.  If I do ssh -X hostname I can forward X.  I'm looking for the environment variable to allow this to work for all users without having to specify the -X option each ssh connection.

Sam wrote:
>When I had X windows on my Redhat machine (KDE) I used Cigwin with this
>as the process.

Not using Cygwin, and have a temporary workaround as shown above.

Greg wrote:
>man sshd_config
>man ssh_config

>FWIW, the following:
> # cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>Host *
>ForwardX11 yes
>Port       22
>Protocol   2
>
># cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>Port 22
>Protocol 2
>X11Forwarding yes
>...etc, etc, etc...

Are these on your local system or the one you're connected to and tunneling from?  I can get X11 to forward to my Windows machine, or another system (older) from the other (remote) system that I'm connected to without having to specify the -X option.  I've compared the ssh_config and sshd_config files, but the versions of ssh are different.

I did read the man pages for ssh previously but what I understood as being valid options for this to work, didn't.  Reading thru the ssh_config and sshd_config man pages, it appears to say the same as what I saw in the ssh manpage.  I've done some googling, and everything I've seen so far points to the issue being the remote system.  Heck, I even found a reply to one of Jima's ssh posts on a list about going from system 1->2->5->others and allowing forward to go thru all of those, and the person who replied said that didn't work.

I've had this problem before, but it was an issue with the forwarding disabled on the system I'm connecting to.  Enabling it, then restarting ssh allowed it to forward from the other system.  This time, it's the opposite.  It's the system I'm locally on that isn't allowing the forwarding, unless I specify the -X option.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"