edit your /etc/inittab and change your startup level from 5 to 3

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

MC

                      "PHPTOm"
                      <phptom at wordesign.        To:       "Tclug-List at Mn-Linux. Org" <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
                      net>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [TCLUG] iamdum - I want to switch to command-line mode from x-win
                      tclug-list-admin at m
                      n-linux.org

                      10/09/2003 01:12
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      tclug-list

I have searched fruitlessly for this... I don't believe it is covered in
too
many places.

I use Redhat9, KDE.  How can I switch to non-window use?  I want to force
myself to learn how to run a server via command-line only.  I know how to
switch desktops, but how do I turn them off?

TOm

PS I am looking for a job.  I am a web developer/programmer.  Please email
me if you know of anything.  I'll give you 10 dollars if it works out.