On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:21:51 -0500
Adam Maloney <adamm at sihope.com> wrote:
>Right or wrong, my advice is to dive in head-first.  Obviously, keeping
>a Windows machine around is a good safety net, and you'll definately
>need it.  But I think the best way to really learn is to force yourself
>to use your Linux machine whenever possible.  There will be some pain in
>the beginning, but eventually it will become second nature, and you'll
>cringe at the days when you had to reboot to change an IP address.

When I went away to school my first year, I spent the summer getting my
computer dual booting NT and Linux (slackware at the time).  For a while, I
went back and forth, but after going 3 months without rebooting, I decided my
NT partition was just wasted space.  So, I reformatted the NT partition
ext2 and put something more useful there (aka music) and went another 2
months uptime before I decided to upgrade the kernel.  If you use it every
day, you get used to it really fast.

>It's just like how dad taught me to swim.  Took me fishing and pushed me
>into the lake.  Then he took off to his next fishing spot and told me to
>"Suck it up Nancy-boy, you aren't gonna drown."  Sometimes I got to rest
>for a couple of minutes before getting thrown back in.  Good times, good
>times.

Vaguely familiar to my childhood, but I was given heavy bricks at the same
time. Go figure.

Jay