When I had X windows on my Redhat machine (KDE) I used Cigwin with this
as the process.

Start Cygwin
$ startx
Leave an xterm open
I would 'exit' TWM leaving the X server running (don't ask me how this
worked)
click the desktop and select 'exit'
I would then "ssh -X -l 'account' 'machine'" from the open xterm
When logged in I'd type 'KDE' and KDE would start.

It's all magic, as you know, so it may or may not work. Depends on the
fates or luck or some darn quirk of Cygwin. The Redhat machine now has
Debian on it without X windows. I want to have X windows on that machine
but I'm having some difficulty, apparently I'm mister potato head ;-) I
just need to know more about what all goes in to an installation of X
windows.

Sam.