Even with all the differing opinions and some angst about what is best
to use for what.  I've learned so much more with this group then I ever
could have alone.  I've been a member for about 3 months now, 1 beer
meeting (2 beers, I think), and 1 install fest.

I'm not being a Debian advocate it's just what worked on my laptop...

The next install fest is on October 18th. If you don't have a CD ROM,
I'll bring my Debian Rescue, Root, and driver diskettes (base as well)
and your laptops will run Linux.  Let me suggest that you have at least
1 machine without X windows (I no longer have a Linux box with X windows
on it) You will learn much more about Linux and UNIX by learning from
the command line.  It forces you to learn the file system and
configuration files.

Check  the following to see if the laptops and network cards are compatible.
    (my laptop is not on the list and it works)

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/laptops.html#AEN379
and
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/pcmcia.html

I'm using a Xircom CE3 10/100 that us using the CE2 driver and it works
fine on my AST Bravo NB-RC, 486/25sx, 24MB RAM, 200MB Disk, 9.5 Inch
Color Display, and an Iomga ZIP 100 Parallel.

Sam.