> On the contrary, I've found that if you desire it, mutt can probably do
> it.  I've used on the for a couple years and I'm still saying, "Wow! I
> didn't know it could do that!".  Like most F/OSS, what you see at first
> is usually just the tip of the iceberg.

It of course doesn't HAVE to be this way. Pine is an excellent example
of a self documenting program. Its easy to figure out without needing
documentation. This is at its core what GUI's are supposed to be about.
Textmode programs can be made just as easy to use. However, it seems to
be some people's philosophy that textmode programs are to be terse,
unfriendly, impossible to figure out without documentation, and
downright ugly.

To each their own.