On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Munir Nassar wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, David Phillips wrote:
>
> > Munir Nassar writes:
> > > I do not think so. There right are granted by 17 USC 117 sure. But a
> > > contract between you and microsoft at a later time can supercede that.
> >
> > Yes, but there's no contract when you buy something in a store.  Unless you
> > sign a contract with Microsoft, or perform some other overt act such as
> > buying it directly from them, then you have all the rights granted by the
> > law.
>
> I did not say that there was a contract, i said that _A_ contract _CAN_
> supercede that.
>
> then i went on to say that the click through, or a shrink wrap MAY be
> interpreted to be a contract, but that is up to the courts.
>
> Doesnt anybody READ their email anymore?

I read it. But as I mentioned in my previous mail, I don't think
EULA's come within a country mile of contract law. Therefore I felt
it necessary to provide an explanation of why when shrinkwrap licenses
were mentioned in conjunction with what a contract can do.

In some detail.

I personally see EULA's as letters of intent from the software
publisher. Taken in that light they are quite ominous enough.

--
Daniel Taylor
dante at argle.org
Forget diamonds, Copyright is forever.