Munir Nassar wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, David Phillips wrote:
>

>>Joel Wickard writes:
>>
>>>does that mean I can transfer that software (not multiple
>>>copies.. just the one) to any machine I want to
>>
>>Yes.  You have all the rights granted by 17 USC 117.
>

> I do not think so. There right are granted by 17 USC 117 sure. But a
> contract between you and microsoft at a later time can supercede that.

<DISCLAIMER>
IANAL, and this cannot be taken as legal advise, but it is a description
of my understanding of the relationship between contract law and EULA's
within Minnesota. It might not be true for you if you live anywhere
else, and I may be outright mistaken on one or more points.
</DISCLAIMER>

Do not mistake a shrinkwrap license for a contract.
Contracts can be negotiated, any "take it or leave it" item like a
shrinkwrap license is on shaky ground if it does not provide at least as
much obligation on the writer as it does the recipient.

It is also generally true that for something to be considered a contract
you have to have the right to refuse (or not sign) it. Since software is
treated as a non-returnable item, you do not have the right of effective
refusal once you have seen the EULA.

Therefore, since you can't get your money back, and the EULA places more
onerous restrictions on you than on the company presenting the EULA,
_and_ you don't get to see it before commiting (by purchasing and
unwrapping it, and often by partially installing it), it would appear
that the shrinkwrap or clickwrap EULA is invalid in Minnesota.

End rant.