I'm just saying this because I don't know who the lawyer is but I
wouldn't bet my house on any of that.
If MS wants a company to pay, I will assure you they will pay. The same
can be said for IBM, Oracle, Redhat, or any other company. Software that
is sold for use in this country shouldn't be boot legged, it's that
simple. Yes, I have license for every OS and other software on every
computer in my house that needs a license.
If someone walks out of best buy with a computer, sells it to you with
your knowledge that it's stolen. You can be arrested for receiving
stolen property.

About 20 years ago I was working in Up Town, a guy came to the store
(10,000 Auto Parts) and asked several of us if we wanted to buy a TV ;-)
One of the guys said yes, we watched the guy walk across the street, in
to Best Buy, and he almost got in to the street with the TV. OH did I
say we called Best Buy and gave them the description of the guy.

Sam.