>>>>> "nate" == nate  <nate at refried.org> writes:

    nate> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:57:08AM -0500,
    nate> rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a bang-up approach for debugging .procmailrc
    >> files?
    >>
    >> I'd love something that would take a message file and step
    >> through the recipes, one after another, checking for matches
    >> and reporting them as they happen.
    >>
    >> I'm sure I'm dreaming, but it seemed worth asking....

    nate> You're not dreaming.  You just need these two lines in your
    nate> .procmailrc.

    nate> VERBOSE=on LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

    nate> Put the log file wherever you want.  You'll get some pretty
    nate> verbose output so be sure to turn it off once you have
    nate> everything working again.

Thanks, Nate!  I think I was still dreaming, actually.  I was thinking
of a procmail debugger that ran OUTSIDE procmail, just testing the
file on a single message.  I think I get that by making sample
alterations in a different RC file, then invoking procmail on a single
message and pointing it at the test file....