On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> A 1U rack mounted server with 500 MB to 1GB memory, 80 or more GB disk,
> Network, CDROM, Video out (no serial cable installs please!) and a
> license that allows me to install/configure any version of linux that I
> want to on it.  (most likely SuSE, Debian, or Slack)  The most important
> part is this last part.  The server will be co-located in Virginia, but
> beforehand we will wipe the drive and install an OS and the software
> required.

I've had decent experience with Dell's 1U boxes (don't have to pay the M$
tax anymore on their server stuff, at least from what I've found); if you
want cheap, you can go their entry-level 1U server (used to be the 350, I
think it's a 650 or 850 now) with 2 IDE disks and add a 3ware RAID
controller. Only problem with that is you don't get hot-swap disks. I've
also heard good things about Penguin's 1U boxes; no personal experience
with them yet.

Otherwise, you can always build your own.. www.newegg.com is my personal
favorite vendor.