Mr. Old Potatoe Head, Sam,

Calm down, we'll talk you off that ledge!  Don't jump!.

You can get info on a pkg not installed with:
apt-cache show pkg-name

You can find a master cross reference list of all files
and what package they come from in:
cdrom or debian ftp site/dists/stable/Contents-i386.gz
I find this list to be very helpful, so you can search for /startx
and find that startx is part of x11/xbase-clients.

Do you have xbase-clients installed?(dpkg -l | grep xbase-client).
What files are in afterstep?(dpkg -L afterstep).

Hope that helps,

Karl.