I'm not going after anyone with this eMail it's just general angst!

*< Ranting>*
This is why I didn't want to use the "apt-get install afterstep" without
knowing what is REALLY needed. For some reason it does not install what
is needed to run X windows, without knowing WTF is going on internally
it will never work.
Obviously some configuration or inside knowledge is needed before
installing and running X windows and any window manager.  Either a
dependency for running X windows is not included with "afterstep" or it
is assumed to be installed.
~~~
# afterstep
AfterStep: can't open display

# afterstep -d 0
AfterStep: can't open display

# startx
bash: startx: command not found

# X
bash: X: command not found
~~~
I know this is not a M$ installer but for Linux (any distribution) to
even get close to the desktop it will need to be able to install and run
_anything_ without fault.

# apt-get remove afterstep
It still leaves directories and files for me to manually remove, the
unistall process needs to be complete.  Freaking delete the files then
the directory.  I don't care who wrote apt-get they need to do the job
right.
*</Ranting>*

Sam.

Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder, after the the technical guy
made it work.