Wayne Johnson writes:
> Automatic updates are as
> problematic as they are beneficial.  Last week our Apache stopped
> working when we picked up a perl update that required matching
> changes to the httpd.conf file.  The httpd.conf file was not updated
> because it had local changes.

This should not happen, or at least should not happen very often.  Does Red
Hat have security only updates for their distros for years like Debian?
Debian back ports security fixes to the stable versions of software.  I
don't think Red Hat does this, because they want to suck you into upgrading
every year or so.

It is much better for the occasional security update to break something and
require manual intervention, than it is to not have them at all.  If people
don't patch their Windows boxes, they aren't going to patch their Linux
boxes.  Security updates have to be automatic.  Even Microsoft realizes this
now.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/