> times.  It seems to be the same location all the time.  My first reaction
> was a bad sector on the HD, so;
> A) Is this a Hard Drive issue, a kernel error, or another system error?
> B) What would be the best course of action?

Same location every time? Definitely a bad sector. Back up everything
important before it gets worse, and start shopping for a replacement
drive. ;P

If you keep accessing that sector, you MIGHT be able to convince the
drive's bad sector management to map it out, but its a bad sign. You can
maybe keep using the drive on an unimportant machine.

So when we getting an open source SpinRite? I notice there's apparently
an API for the needed low level access in recent kernels...