On Thursday, Oct 2, 2003, at 15:50 US/Central, Shawn wrote:

> Not to sound harsh, but to have everything laid out for you in exact
> documentation makes for laziness, poor admins, and what you're
> complaining about that IBM GS is doing.  "Any monkey can do it, so
> they can do it from afar."  Documentation will never take the place of
> knowledge, experience, and a desire to learn.  It is, however, a great
> support aid tool for those things which I just listed.  This, is of
> course, all IMO.

This is bar none one of the stupidest things I've ever read on this
list. Without documentation, how are you supposed to learn about stuff?
Guess? Divine the information from tea leaves?

Lazy people don't read documentation, they expect someone to tell them
everything. People with a decent work ethic, and a desire to learn
conduct research on the problem at hand and read everything they can
about said subject.

Saying you are just supposed to know and memorize everything is
absolutely stupid. I keep dozens of books on hand to use for reference,
as well has HUNDREDS of bookmarks to sites with docs on them.

If that makes me lazy than so be it.

> --
> Shawn
>
>   The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.
>
>   Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"

Ben Lutgens       http://us-admins.com/~blutgens/
US Admins, Inc
System Administrator / Server Gumby