On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 10:17, Ben Bargabus wrote:
> I was bored and thinking that it would be interesting to hear what some
> of your favorite Linux/Unix programs are.  Maybe an interesting response
> will inspire me to learn something new.  Anyway, what are your favorite
> programs, why, and what do you use them for?  (if any of you are as
> bored as me today maybe this will start an interesting thread ;-)

MythTV is making me happy lately. (http://www.mythtv.org/) Its an
impressive piece of work. Particularly in its abilities to operate in a
distributed fashion. Any number of machines with any number of TV cards
can be used transparently by any front end over a network. I have a TV
card in my SO's machine, she works evenings and would otherwise miss
most anything worth watching. Also means her machine is unused while its
recording. Recordings can then be watched on any machine on the network.

xmltv, however, is a perl dependency nightmare. And the atrpms
repository, who packages mythtv and everything it needs for Red Hat, is
pure evil. All packages depend on the 'atrpm' package, which contains
apt-get, forcing you to use THEIR apt-get package. And all the spec
files seem to use special macros, which I assume are in their
replacement RPM package, so I can't even just easily rebuild all the
packages to not depend on it. I just want mythtv, I don't want to
replace my apt-get and RPM and sell my soul to atrpms. I gotta make up a
null 'atrpm' package. Then start my OWN repository. With blackjack. And
hookers...