How about asking our friends over at TCPhP to write a library
application.  For checking the books out and in.  With a way to contact
the previous barrow that someone would like the book.  The application
could be run on the mn-linux site. I might be persuaded to give up some
space on my latest debian box (by, by Redhat)
Check the books our for 1, 2, or 3 beer meetings.  Pick the books up and
drop them off at beer meetings.  ;-)

I'm not sure who would be the librarian as that job would take some
commitment (I'm booked with Scouting and going camping this weekend BTW)
[pun intended] on the librarians part.  But that work could be made up
by buying the Librarian a beer when you check out a book!

Sam.