What if we all volunteer to OCR 50 pages and put them on-line? (just
kidding).

Give them out as "thank you's" for finding speakers, hosting/organizing
installfests, etc?

A TCLUG Library is a great idea.  But I could see it being a problem if
people have to drive across town to get to wherever the books are housed.
That's where the P2P thing you mentioned might make it better - with such
a large group it shouldn't be difficult to get a book from A to B with a
few hops in between.  But then again, there's little accountability and
some books may be lost.

You could ask for a receipt when you GIVE the book to someone else, so you
have proof that it's not in your possession.  Then if someone wants to
borrow it, they can WHO-HAS on the list, and if no one steps forward you
can use the receipts to track it down.  Not that the group isn't
trustworthy, but I would be really surprised if this didn't happen
eventually.

You could probably make this even easier by hacking together some sort of
check-in system, but instead of checking the book into the repository, you
can check it into another LUGer.  The requester fills out a web form
requesting a check-out token, which would be a large random number, one
time use, that only he knows.  He gives the number to the current
possessor of the book, who pops the number into a web-form as his
"receipt".  Then the system always knows who is currently responsible for
each book.  (No one can give away a book, since they won't have a valid
check-out token from someone requesting it).

Probably even better ways to do this, but my brain is fried since it's
near the end of the week.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Clay Fandre wrote:

> Lately I have gotten a few shipments of Linux books from various
> publishers. I am trying to figure out how to distribute these books
> that would benefit the group the most. Here are a few ideas:
>
> 1. Library - Let users "check-out" books on a short-term basis. They
> would need to check them back in so other members could use them.
> 2. Give-away - Have a drawing or something and give them away to a
> permanent owner.
> 3. P2P - Give them away and encourage the books find their way to
> other members eventually.
>
> I would probably want some type of feedback/review no matter which way
> we go.
>
> Comments? Suggestions?
>

> Here is the list of books I currently have:
>
> Managing Linux Systems with Webmin - Cameron
>
> Implementing CIFS - The Common Internet File System - Hertel
>
> Moving to Linux - Gagne
>
> 2 - Practical Programming in Tcl and TK (4th Ed) - Welch/Jones Hobbs
>
> Linux Server Hacks - Flickenger
>
> Understanding the Linux Kernel - Bovet & Cesati
>
> Managing Raid on Linux - Vadala
>
> Running Linux - Welsh, Dalheimer, Dawson & Kaufman
>
> UNIX Systems Programming - Robbins
>
> Building Secure Servers with Linux - Bauer
>
> Google Hacks - Calishain & Dornfest
>
> Complete Wireless Home Networking (Windows XP Edition) - Heltzel
>
> Linux on the Mainframe - Eilert, Eisenhaendler, Maththaeus, Salm
>
> I may have some others hidden in boxes that I have yet to unpack from
> my move.
>
> -- Clay

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator