There are 2 IMAP servers I currently like.

1)  Cyrus
I always use postfix/cyrus 2 for my mail servers. Cyrus has alot of
really good features, though its complex to setup sometimes, its very
flexible. It has its own maildir type format. But I always use an IMAP
to IMAP copy when I change mail servers so I dont have to worry about
format changes.

2) DBMail
This server stores all mail in SQL. This has some very powerful
advantages. You can have a beefy backend clustered sql server with many
many IMAP frontends load balancing the users. And since its SQL you can
use replication to other servers or locations or to a machine purely for
backups. Its not totally ready for production yet. But I have lots of
hopes for this project. If it becomes stable and production ready, I am
seriously considering switching. I have an alias copy all my mail off to
my dbmail server so I can test it. So far I personally havent run in to
any issues. But thats just with 1 user. Again I do IMAP to IMAP copying,
so I dont care what the backend mail format is.

I have been meaning to finish writing my perl based IMAPrsync, but I am
lazy.