On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:05:07 -0600 (CST)
"Jim Streit" <jimstreit at northlans.com> wrote:

> I haven't spent much time with Suse, but does anyone really know the
> differences between Suse 9 Personal, Suse 9 Professional and Suse Linux
> Enterprise Server (SLES) 8.  I don't care much about the GUI interface,
> this will be on a server where most of the maintenance is done via the
> command line.  I'm looking if there is any advantages / disadvantages for
> each version when running web, mail, dns, database types of services.

I don't think SuSE Personal vs Professional is TOO much different.  Unless they changed it in version 9.0, the Professional comes with a few more packages and a DVD as well as 7 or 8 CD's.  And it comes with more documentation.  I usually get the Professional version.  I don't have any experience with SLES, but it's their server version obviously.  I think if you are running your own server you can get away with using Personal or Professional.

Yast is a pain, even worse is YOU (Yast Online Update), but there are command line versions.  I typically do not install RPMs for thinks like web/dns/mail/db servers, I like to have full control over these, so I build from source.  I use SuSE's RPMs for development tools/libs etc.

I've been a SuSE user for a couple years now, they were the first distro to recognize all my hardware on my bizarre Gateway.  Lately though I've been moving towards Debian for server type stuff.  Also, if you are thinking of running Oracle, SLES is the certified version, though it'll work on Personal/Professional SuSE as well.

HTH,

Josh