On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 04:34:52PM -0600, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I am a bit green with tape devices in linux, and have looked for a half hour
> on how to format my 40/80 gig tape. I find lots of stuff on ftape, but
> nothing yet to just format my tape.
>
> The drive is located at /dev/st0
>

> Raymond

Depends on what you are using for backup software. Most programs used under
Linux do not require that the tape be formatted in any way. Have you tried just
writing to the tape? (eg, tar cvf /dev/st0 /files/*).

Also, it's not a bad idea to create a symbolic link in /dev for the tape (cd
dev; ln -snf nst0 tape). I like using the nst0 device, rather than the st0 one,
because it won't auto rewind after writing. Just be sure that when you are done
writing to the tape you issue a rewind command. (mt rewind or mt rewoffl)

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist