On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:37:47 -0600
"Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org> wrote:

> You don't need the DHCP server address, even if you had it, what
> would you do with it?

The IPCop configuration requests the DHCP server address.  When I tell it to get information from the ISP with a DHCP configuration, it requests that information.  I have not seen it gather that information.

> Again, you don't need the DHCP server or gateway address. And it is
> possible they don't use a MAC address based access list. The DOCSIS
> specification(what cable modems use) has an option to limit the
> number of MAC addresses that are allowed to pass traffic. After the
> cable modem sees an address, it will ignore all others until it's
> rebooted.

I didn't try rebooting the cable modem.  I'll have to try it.

> See above, did you connect directly to the cable modem, and power
> cycle it?

See above.  No.

> No, you cannot force them to do anything, nor do you need the
> information, again, what would you do with the information if it
> were given to you?

Again, see my first paragraph.  It would only be used to configure IPCop with the DHCP information.  I have two people asking me to set up firewalls for them, and without the information, it's so far useless for me to try and configure IPCop.  I'd try and build my own firewall, but I neither have the time to do so, nor the knowledge to get it built in a short amount of time.

> > Is there another alternative to using IPCop and not specify the
> > DHCP server and still get connectivity?  I've read most of the
> > current IPCop thread, but didn't see much relating to the problem
> > I'm encountering.
>
> Why does IPCop want the DHCP server?

Uhh, to know where to pull the dynamic address from?  If you have a better alternative, offer it up instead of asking the same damn question over and over again.

> Your email is poorly formatted, please configure your client to
> linewrap at 70 characters.

My e-mail was formatted properly.  Most clients I know will accept 72 character wide e-mails.  You're e-mail client must be the one messing it up.  But, since you bitched so eloquently about it.  I changed it to 70.  Satisfied?

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"