>>Why do people think the home user is the holy grail of where linux should be
or wants to go?

Hi Bob, I are one, and that is why I got into Linux - I got tired of the instability, upgrade expense, and bunches of other stuff (licensing, activating,...) about M$. It is well worth the bit of learning curve, tweaking and digging around on the Net (and asking this list, thanks to all of you) to get it optimized and doing what I need. I'm now at the point of learning stuff beyond what I need just cause it's fun.

Works fine for me, my wife, my daughter's boyfriend who occasionally uses web browsing and word processing.

I very much want to see Linux presented as an option to intelligent home users, without any further dumbing down. I suspect I am not the only end user who is less than enamored with M$, and I'd like to get the word out that Linux has matured beyond its geeky reputation. I think Mandrake is ready now, as is.

(Granted I am not a typical end user, I have 20 years in the programming and support business.)

I'm not a large network sysadmin and never will be. I'm interested in where Linux is going for home users and small businesses. If I can help spread the word there I would be very pleased.

Please note that I am responding to your comment and not knocking it. I don't think that Linux 'should' go anywhere, and I'm concerned that greed on the part of people who don't really understand Linux or Open Source could turn at least parts of Linux into yet another M$.

--
Cheers,

Charlie Obert

 " There is no energy crisis, food crisis or environmental crisis.
There is only a crisis of ignorance."

- R. Buckminster Fuller