(I'm top posting 'cause I can't find the bottom of this message)

Sam,

As a 1st step towards speeding up your system, turn off antialiased
fonts.  I think you currently need to do this for gnome, kde, and openoffice
seperately (yes this is inconvenient).

As a 2nd step, look into lighter weight window managers (although metacity
isn't too bad).

3rd step, upgrade to RedHat 9.  The gnome that comes with RedHat 9 is the
fastest gnome I've seen (comparable to the first X only gtk releases -
maybe thats a little optimistic, but the speedup is pretty significant).

This is linux - get rid of your window manager all together and just launch
X with an xterm and type oowriter...

Heck, get rid of X and just run on the fbdev.

OK, so maybe the mantra KISMIF doesn't really float my boat.  I'm more into
the KICMIF.

So, have fun,
Kent