On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:07:11AM -0600, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I've spent about 6 hours attempting to find out what it is and why it's
> needed to install almost anything on RH 6.2 that is new.  The only good
> OpenOffice.  I'm sort of to the point of installing NT and having a camp
> fire of Linux CD's  (I'm really tired).

Sam, if you come to the beer meeting tonight I'm going to give
you a wedgy.

What you are trying to do is something akin to installing
Windows NT V3.5 and install IE5.5, or a USB camera.

I tried installing the latest Java runtime on a dual boot NT4/Win95 box
w/48 meg of ram yesterday.  Guess what, it sucked.  JRE said I had to
upgrade to SP6A, and on W95 it installed but crashed horribly.
(Whine, whine, Sam, why can't I run JRE on a Win95/48MB machine?)

So don't give us this bull about going back to windows to fix your
old distro problem.  If you want to run and old distro, then run an
old distro.

Chalk this up to a learning experience.  Go install a new distro,
strip it down and run something that is less than a PIG on your
screaming P233 w/64M ram.  I wouldn't run the latest Open Office
on this machine, or the latest GNOME or KDE.  These are rather
large bloated applications.  If you really must run this bloat,
then strip off other crap to make it all bearable(fit in memory).

Stripping down RH9 is much more appropriate than trying to upgrade
from RH6.  Install a minimal RH9, then turn off every single
etc/init.d service thing.  Add the daemons back in if you need them.
Switch to using FVWM to make room for the BIG PIG OpenOffice.

Maybe you were confused by Debians excellent upgradability.  RH
is not the same.  With RH6 you can't easily upgrade to
the lastest stuff.  Wipe RH6 and install something newer and I will
buy you a beer instead of the wedgy.