On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> If I could figure out what "rpmlib" is and get it installed I be less
> tired.

 It's not a package, per se.  It's more of some functions that may or may
not exist in the version of RPM you have installed.  Are you still using
the default?  (`rpm -q rpm` will tell you; the default is, uh, 3.0.4-0.48)
If so, there's your problem; v3 pretty well sucks, and few people package
software for it.  One of the first packages you need to upgrade to get
pretty much anywhere on 6.2 is rpm -- it should be sitting at 4.0.2-6x.

> I've been attempting to install OpenOffice and get a message that GLIBC
> 2.2 or better is needed, no big deal, I down load the rpm.  When I try
> to install GLIBC 2.2.or better it tells me it can't find "rpmlib" I
> thought "just install a new version of RPM"  but to do that I need
> "rpmlib".

 Like I said.  Any RPM of glibc 2.2 would require RPM v4.  Although I
don't think you want to "upgrade" -- rpm won't like it, and you'll almost
surely break your system by forcing it.

     Jima