I installed Redhat 6.2 and KDE is at least 200% faster then on Redhat
8.0. It just runs smooth even with 64 mb RAM it out performs the Redhat
8.0 install.
I have the installs on different hard disk drives
    Hitachi 5. Gig (DMA/ATA-33 [Ultra] 12 ms - 4000 rpm - 512 KB)
    IBM Travelstar 5 Gig (DMA/ATA-33 [Ultra] 12.7 ms - 4200 rpm - 512 KB)
The IBM is a little faster but that would not effect the speed of X
Windows enough.
I could swap the disks and put 6.2 on the slower disk and the results
would be the same.

If I could I would go to the beer meeting and show you all it isn't the
hardware.  I've done this on 2 desktops and 3 laptops, every time it's
the same thing.  Redhat 6.2 is faster then 8.0 on older hardware.

I would like to do the same with Slackware and Debian to see if the
kernel versions cause the slow down. From 2.X to 2.4. If it's the
version of KDE so be it, I believe it's the Kernel changes.

Sam.