David Alitz wrote:

> I have no love for IBM either.  It's obvious that IBM and Linux is a
> marriage of convenience; but sometimes those arrangements work out.
> I'm afraid I don't see IBM and M$ as bedfellows.  I would expect low
> end IBM servers to be running Windows if that were true.  Of course,
> I'm finding it a bit incredible that RedHat would recommend Windows on
> the desktop.  Maybe IBMs relationship is about getting RedHat to fall
> on their sword and make way for M$?  It sounds more than a little
> far-fetched to me.

I don't find it all that odd. They have a fast growing core business
consisting of providing software, support and training to corporate
clients. This is fairly high margin because they can focus their efforts
much more narrowly than playing in the general market. They also know
that there is a practical limit on how fast they can grow and still keep
the wheels on the wagon. So you dump the non-revenue stuff into a
separate organization and give it some support to get things going while
you focus on the higher margin corporate environment. As an end-user I
have mixed feelings, but as a shareholder I think its the right move.

I keep hearing that Linux is ready for the desktop but my experience is
substantially different. OO still isn't real competition for Word
although I often use the spreadsheet, Gimp is nowhere as powerful as
Photoshop nor as easy to use as PictureIt or Elements, I've yet to find
a Linux MP3 app that is as convenient as Musicmatch Jukebox or the new
iTunes. I've used Unix for 20 years and run Linux in my machines at
home, but it is a real drag at times. If I want to use my Rio 500 under
XP I just tell Jukebox to download the necessary driver and I'm set to
go. If I want to use it in Linux I have to build a new kernel and select
a handful of obscure options in order for it to be recognized and work
properly. Which do you think my parents or co-workers would prefer to do?

Most people have something they want to do. Maybe its reading e-mail,
browsing the web, writing documents, processing some digital photos or
perhaps listen to their music. They don't want to compile an
application, build a kernel or learn a programming language - to them a
computer is a tool, not a lifestyle.. MS and Apple understand this, but
my impression is that most of the Linux community doesn't. Linux is
certainly getting more sophisticated but it certainly isn't getting easier.

BTW, I'm running into an increasing number of people that I knew use to
run Linux who are carrying around iBooks or Powerbooks. I expect that my
next computer will be a 12" iBook. After 20 years I've compiled enough
kernels and tracked down enough driver issues for one lifetime :-)

--rick