Is my memory faulty?  I seem to recall that MS took over the corporate
sector by way of the home user.  People became comfortable with PCs at
home and corporations adopted PCs as a way to take advantage of users
existing computer skills.  PCs replaced X-Terms because home users were
already comfortable with them.

Apple tried the reverse strategy.  Teach people to use an Apple as a
student and they'll take it to home and work with them.

Of course, the economics of Linux vs. Windows is different thatn Windows
vs. Apple, which may make the results different too.

Dave Alitz