I have a laptop that's real nice now, it isn't state of the art but it's
a lot better then the 486/25 I've had for years.
It's a Micron TransPort XKE

Pentium 266 MMX
64 mb RAM  (gona need mo ram!)  [196mb max]
4 GIG hard disk (I can have KDE  :-D )
CDROM :-)
Floppy Drive
2 PCMCIA -56k Modem and 10BaseT :-)
NeoMagic 128 XD (only 2 mb RAM  :-( )
13.3 inch active matrix LCD that does 1024x768 :-)
USB 8-)
PS2 mouse and keyboard :-)
a touch pad, hmmmmm.... (not sure if thats good or not)
a track point, yuck... (just my opinion)

To put a battery in it I have to take out the floppy drive. I wonder how
Linux will take a missing floppy drive?

I installed Redhat 8 because I have the CD's, that doesn't mean I want
to stay with it.  First, X Windows is slow on this machine, it looks
nice but it crawls. If I went to Redhat 6 I bet it would scream. Maybe
it's just me but I haven't liked any version of Redhat sense 6.X because
X windows crawls.

The only thing that doesn't work is the sound (one of the things I
really wanted) so I'm off to look for "sndconfig"...   Mmmmm "Chicago,
25 or 6 to 4" got sound :-)

I'm almost a happy camper I need a distribution that will run X Windows
faster.  Maybe at an install fest I can do some testing.  The hard disk
is easy to swap, that's a good thing.

Sam.